What should I do if an employee is injured at work?
In the event of a workers compensation claim, the following steps provide guidelines for handling work injuries and the claim process.
- Determine severity of injury and either administer first aid or send the injured employee to your preferred medical provider.
- In the case of severe trauma, emergency help will be dispatched and employee should be taken to closest emergency facility.
- Prepare the “Employers Report of Occupational Injury or Illness” (pdf) (form 5020). Law requires you file a report to your insurance company within 5 days of knowledge of injury.
- Provide the injured employee an “Employee Claim for Workers Compensation Benefits”(pdf) (DWC form 1) within one day of knowledge of claim. A copy of this completed form should be given to the employee, with a copy to the insurance company.
- Proper record of claim should be kept on file at place of business. See OSHA Recordkeeping Requirements.
REMEMBER. . . PROMPT & PROPER REPORTING OF WORK INJURY CLAIMS BENEFITS EVERYONE!!!