Someone has approached you with news that they were injured on your property. They ask you, “what are you going to do about it?”. Taking the proper steps from this moment are critical in making sure your claim is handled properly. We offer these steps to aid you in gathering information to provide for reporting of a liability claim.
- Determine if anyone is injured. If so, do not attempt to move individual unless a life threatening situation exists, i.e. person in burning building.
- Call the appropriate authorities if necessary.
- DO NOT SAY “It is our fault” or admit liability. Have empathy for the person and make them comfortable. Offer to make telephone calls for them, but don’t say you will take care of their damages or bills.
- Examine the scene of the accident.
- Was the surface dry?
- Did you notice a crack, bump or raised surface?
- If possible, take pictures from all angles.
- Obtain name(s) and phone number(s) of injured person(s).
- Were there witnesses? If so, get their name, address and phone number.
- Call Alvarado Pacific Insurance with the facts.
Even when all of the above steps have been taken and you’ve done everything within your and the insurance companies means to settle a liability claim amicably, there is always the threat of a lawsuit. If you should receive ANY lawsuit, or if you are aware of any situation that may give rise to a lawsuit, you should contact our office.